Select Forestry Services is a professional logging company serving Ohio, specializing in selective logging and sustainable forestry management. Founded in the 1991, we have nearly 3 decades of experience in timber assessment, logging, timber buying, and other related services.
If you are looking for a selective logging company you can trust to care for and respect your property, look no further than Select Forestry Services. We focus on ethical logging, driven by industry best practices, and sincere customer care. Call us today at (614) 336-9758 to learn more.
Sustainable Logging Practices
When you choose Select Forestry Services to manage your property’s logging operation, you are partnering with a company with more than 30 years of experience in sustainable timber harvesting. Before any logging ever takes place, we take several steps to maximize your forest’s output while minimizing our impact to your land:
1) Assess Your Wooded Land’s Potential
Prior to beginning any cutting, qualified team members will perform a thorough visual inspection of the land, cataloguing the species, condition, location, and maturity of your trees, among other things. We will work with you to understand what you envision your property looking like and what your goals are.
2) Verify Property Boundaries
We use GPS and maps to ensure we work within property lines and only log in the areas that have been set aside for that.
3) Proposal, Estimate, & Contract
Select Forestry Services will draw up a detailed proposal, complete with a fair and accurate estimate. Some things we take into account include:
- Density of trees
- Types of trees to be harvested (We specialize in walnut and white oak, but are not exclusive.)
- Size of property to be logged
- Difficulty of harvesting trees and condition of forest
We specialize in selective cutting, which means we will never clear-cut your property, but instead practice harvesting trees in a way that manages the establishment, continued growth, and final harvest of multiple age classes and species of trees.
4) Lump Sum Payment
We buy all our standing timber on a lump sum sale. That means we pay the seller the whole agreed amount before any trees are harvested. This assures you do not see trees leaving your property not knowing if you will ever receive payment.
5) Road Development
Prior to logging, a usable road must be installed to successfully transport the timber. We will use existing roads or carefully and thoughtfully develop new ones, minimizing erosion and our impact to your property.
Logging Best Practices With Select Forestry
Once an appropriate way to transport the logs is in place, the team of experienced loggers at Select Forestry Services will use cutting-edge technology and techniques to efficiently harvest the trees marked for removal, while minimizing damage to the surrounding ecosystem.
We adhere to a strict set of logging Best Management Practices (BMPs), to help promote sustainable long-term timber extraction and ecosystem health:
1) BMPs address all aspects of the timber harvesting processes, including riparian zones, stream crossings, logging roads, wetland management, and reforestation practices. In general, we at Select Forestry utilize the methods that best fit the topography, soil types, and season, while minimizing soil disturbance.
2) Once we’ve completed logging, the clean-up crew at Select Forestry Services will ensure your property is left in better shape than when we found it. Clean up may include any of the following measures:
- Soil stabilization
- Erasure of any signs of mechanical equipment
- Repairs to structures or land, if needed
- Re-seeding or planting of immature trees
Call Select Forestry Services Today!
If you are interested in learning more about partnering with Select Forestry Services to manage your forest for its future, call us today at (614) 336-9758 or toll free at (800) 634-3310. We look forward to serving you!